Being an Effective Leader: 3 Ways To Help You
Leading isn’t something that comes naturally to everyone.
At the beginning of your journey it was just you (perhaps along with a partner), setting out on an exciting crusade to change the world.
As you’ve grown your business, you’ve taken on new people to help get the job done. But, if you’re being honest with yourself, you don’t necessarily enjoy leading them.
For ALL businesses, however large or small, it’s essential you lead from the top: your vision, culture, goals, priorities. Along with giving praise and honest feedback when needed (feels uncomfortable, right?).
Whether you shy away from leading, relish it, or simply endure it to get the job done, here’s 3 ways to help you lead effectively…
1. Leadership Through Extension
This is all about learning to multiply your skills and your capacity and sharing this with your team. By openly sharing your knowledge and expertise, not only does this empower and motivate everyone around you, you will also free up your own time.
2. Leadership Through Expectancy
If you expect success from your team, it’s likely that your confidence and trust is passed onto others by your attitude. Expectancy creates an environment where people grow because they know they are expected to and will be allowed to.
3. Leadership Through Participation
To be effective you must provide opportunity for others to be involved in meetings, decisions, the day-to-day. By effective delegation, you’ll be freeing up your time to focus ON the businesses.
Your Action Points
Allocate 90 minutes this week to:
- Make a list by answering: “I have the following skills I could use to teach an employee to free up my time to work ON my business …”
- Think about the belief you have in the potential of your team members and how you can start communicating this through your attitude, words, communications etc.
- Create a table with 3 Columns: Person | Task | Date of Delegation. Then allocate which members of your team can take on the responsibility so that you start working ON your business.
As I said at the start, Leadership doesn’t come naturally to everyone, but the good news is that you can start right now on your style to become more effective – your business and those around you need this now more than ever.
There are loads of great books out there. Here’s a link to The Best Books on Leadership, which includes some of my favourites > https://www.thereadinglists.com/best-books-on-leadership/
Investor | Business Mentor at Advocate | Author of I don’t work Fridays
Image by Miguel Á. Padriñán from Pixabay