You Can’t Hug a Company (Giving Tuesday)
Today is Giving Tuesday; a day that encourages people to do good.
As you may know, our chosen charity is one close to our hearts, Sands, the stillbirth and neonatal death charity, which we’ve raised over £16,000* over the years via fundraising activities, our referral scheme, and proceeds of every sale of my book I don’t work Fridays.
Jacki and I also support two local clubs (financially, mentorship, marketing, coaching and kit man!) – Camberley Town Football Youth Club and Yateley Silverbacks Basketball Club – who give so much to the community in terms of their time, expertise and giving kids and adults of all abilities the chance to be part of a family and to grow, compete and have fun.
And I love being in the position to be able to help volunteer coach the various boys’ sports matches at the school our kids go to, every, single Wednesday afternoon (it’s part of my TERMS!).
But it’s not just about raising money, it’s about making an IMPACT. And being proud.
And IMAPCT can be many things, and today is a timely reminder to think about how you can make an impact…
Impact on your Time:
- Focus on your values, structure, and team. By creating the right environment and giving the right tools, you can get out of the way and focus ON your business.
- Stop procrastinating and start making decisions.
Impact with your Team:
- Take a step back and remember that people need to something to believe in, someone to believe in, and someone to believe in them.
- Listen, don’t tell because we feel unloved and undervalued when someone isn’t fully listening. Being present and aware – not distracted – is one of the most powerful ways to engage your team and get them caring about your business as much as you do.
Impact in your Marketplace:
- Play the game you want to play, in the area you choose, the way you want to, how you want to, and with what you want to. Then – and only then – have you a great chance of keeping the competitive advantage, as your opposition has no idea what game you’re playing. It’s your rules!
Impact with your Customers:
People don’t buy the products you sell; they buy the stories you tell. Your story must be all about your listeners and come from your heart; people care about people, not companies, because you can’t hug a company.
Re-visit (or start) your story and focus on creating emotion and connection.
- Why are you telling this story?
- How has an event related to your business affected you, and what have you learned from this?
- Can you involve some of your customers as characters?
- Think BIG and about your future you’re shaping – millennials love this.
Think about this today, and tomorrow…and next week… as these WILL make a world of difference to the things that matter in your life – your business, your profits, your causes, your sanity, your family.
PS – if you want to find out more about the power of Purpose & Impact, then listen to my Podcast with Paul Dunn, Co-founder of B1G1, who’s Global Giving initiative has enabled businesses to create over 246 million giving impacts! LISTEN > https://bit.ly/PodcastPaulDunn
* We’re waiting for the final report from the publishers to come through so that we can work out what we’ve raised this year through book sales.