Your Impact – #GivingTuesday
Today is Giving Tuesday; the day to do good stuff for charity.
Our chosen charity is one close to our hearts, Sands, the stillbirth and neonatal death charity, which we’ve raised over £15,000* over the years via fundraising activities, our referral scheme, and proceeds of every sale of my book I don’t work Fridays.
We also support two great local clubs – Camberley Town Football Youth Club and Yateley Silverbacks Basketball Club – who give so much to the community in terms of their time, expertise and giving kids and adults of all abilities the chance to be part of a family and to grow, compete and have fun.
But it’s not just about raising money, it’s about making an IMPACT.
Impact can be many things, and today is a timely reminder to think about how you can make an impact.
Impact on your Time:
- Focus on your values, structure and team. By creating the right environment and giving the right tools, you can get out of the way and focus ON your business.
- Stop procrastinating and start making decisions.
Impact with your Team:
- Take a step back and remember that people need to something to believe in, someone to believe in, and someone to believe in them.
- Listen, don’t tell because we feel unloved and undervalued when someone isn’t fully listening. Being present and aware – not distracted – is one of the most powerful ways to engage your team and get them caring about your business as much as you do.
Impact in your Marketplace:
- Play the game you want to play, in the area you chose, the way you want to, how you want to, and with what you want to. Then – and only then – have you a great chance of keeping the competitive advantage, as your opposition has no idea what game you’re playing. It’s your rules!
Impact with your Customers:
People don’t buy the products you sell; they buy the stories you tell. Your story must be all about your listeners and come from your heart; people care about people, not companies, because you can’t hug a company.
Re-visit (or start) your story and focus on creating emotion and connection.
- Why are you telling this story?
- How has an event related to your business affected you, and what have you learned from this?
- Can you involve some of your customers as characters?
- Think BIG and about your future you’re shaping – millennials love this.
Think about this today, and tomorrow…and next week… as these WILL make a world of difference to the things that matter in your life – your business, your profits, your causes, your sanity, your family.
* We’re waiting for the final report from the publishers to come through so that we can work out what we’ve raised this year through book sales.
Investor | Business Mentor at Advocate | Author of I don’t work Fridays