The Scalability Coach
I set-up Advocate over seven years ago to help business owners choose what they do with their tomorrow. My passion to help entrepreneurs achieve their success was the ultimate driver behind my #1 Amazon Bestselling book, I don’t work Fridays.
It’s so satisfying being an integral part of my clients’ journeys, working with them in getting clarity, gaining confidence and skyrocketing their businesses into exhilarating new phases, as they create a business that works for them.
I went from small time entrepreneur, to SME business owner and finally onto Senior Executive in a multi-million pound corporation in just ten years – all without a single official business management qualification to my name.
Impressive right? Well, yes, I set-up my own business in 1991 using a little bit of office space lent to me by some friends, which despite not having a purpose, went on to successfully exit. And many years later I generated some impressive results as CEO at a multinational corporation, turning a loss of £250k per month to celebrating its first £1 of profit in just a matter of months.
BUT it took a lot of blood, sweat and tears. Literally. I’ve lived through the lows, the struggles, pains, long-hours and sleepless nights. And I’ve experienced the empowerment, pride, liberation and wealth that personal development and business transformation can bring. So, whatever mindset you’re currently going through right now, chances are I might understand, and certainly help.
My experience has enabled me to bring ‘Big Business Thinking’ to the SME world, helping business owners who want to get to that next stage but are stuck and don’t know where to go next.
I have created my own unique SCALE Model® to openly share and transfer to others. This model (and philosophy) is a framework for how to scale your business (without growing broke) enabling an Exit. By Exit, I mean more time, financial freedom, the opportunity to invest in other ventures, or to simply take the summer holidays off to spend with friends and family.
I’m a Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI®) Qualified Practitioner which means I can help you understand your personality type and introduce it to your business to support many functions and situations including: managing others, development of leadership skills, conflict resolution, executive coaching and change management.
In April 2017, we formed a Partnership with Dent Global, the worldwide leaders in strategy and technology for entrepreneurial businesses, to support the rising numbers of entrepreneurial teams across Asia. As newly appointed Chairman of Dent Asia, my initial focus was on Dent Singapore.
50 Things you may know about me…
- I solved the Rubic cube in 1981 and was going to write a book on how but didn’t; then within a few months Patrick Bossert did and sold 1.5 million copies!
- My teachers, headmaster and parents wanted me to study law at either Oxford/Cambridge. I didn’t, so sort of got myself excluded. Problem solved.
- I was once pictured in the centre pages of the Sun newspaper under the title “To the Manor Porn”. Sorry mum.
- When I was 19, I was stopped by a police cordon on Valentines Day, on suspicion of kidnapping. I was of course innocent and it was mistaken identity.
- By pure fluke (and also being in the wrong place at the wrong time), I was the custodian of the world’s first Dell colour laptops x 2. I’m pleased to say the police believed my story and didn’t charge me for industrial espionage.
- I have done a fire-walk with Anthony Robbins (cool wet grass, cool wet grass).
- I am a dad to Lily and James (twins) and Louise (RIP 2010).
- I am married to Jacki.
- I am an early adopter of anything gadgety, so have spent time in queues for iPhones, iPads, PlayStation etc.
- I am a lifetime Liverpool fan after following my dad’s instructions to support the team in Red at the 1971 FA Cup final, he thought it was Arsenal, it was actually Liverpool thanks to a swap.
- I like romantic comedies (Notting Hill, Love Actually etc.).
- My best friends throughout my life tend to be female (see previous).
- My best man was also a lady (see previous).
- I was trained by the man who trained Tom Cruise in Cocktail…Yes I can throw and spin bottles , and yes,I have wrung my socks out after a long night behind a bar.
- From the age of 6 to 15 I was a ballroom and Latin American dancer, gaining the dizzy heights of 4th in major championships. Some of my old friends have been on BBC’s Strictly Come Dancing.
- My first ever game of golf was at the King’s Course, Gleneagles, sort of blagged myself onto a corporate day (all the gear no idea).
- I have three tattoos: an ambigram of Louise/Angel on my right arm, a Gemini symbol (my star sign) and also a J and L (twins). And a 96 with eternal flame, to honour the Anfield 96 on my right wrist.
(Yes, you’re right. There’s 33 more to come. So please come back and see my life unfold)!